Sunday 13 October 2013

Tastes of Nostalgia:: Sorrel Juice (Zobo Drink)

IMG_00001010
Sorrel Juice
Everyone have got the foods that brings back some memory of a time or a place that they reflect on with some sort of fondness.
For me, most of those times and places are tied into my childhood, so I intend to share the recipes, foods and ingredients that I grew up with and that now I look back on with warm nostalgia.

IMG_00000999
Sorrel Petals
Today, I am sharing one of my childhood favourites; Sorrel Juice (Sobo Drink) with you. A refreshing drink that you can enjoy in the warmer months in its chilliest glory or in the colder months as a lovely brew to keep the sniffles away (tastes almost like mulled wine, without the effect *wink*). I can't help smiling as I remember when as a child, I would try so hard to get my lips stained with the crimson redness of the juice to give me a lipstick effect, and the disapproving glare that would earn me from my mum ☺.
A great social drink for sharing and entertaining, it's health benefits cannot be overlooked, and I will tell you all about that some other time.
I use the dried roselle calyces, because this is the form they can be sourced as when out of season. If you don't live where they are generally grown , then you will find them available in your local African, Caribbean or alternative health food stores; labelled as "Sorrel or Jamaican Tea". Amazon is also an online source.
But for now, please enjoy my easy recipe for making the Sorrel Juice.

Ingredients
  • 75g Roselle Calyces
  • 2 liters Water
  • 2 tbsp Fresh Ginger Root (Grated)
  • 8 Cloves
  • 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp Lemon Peel
  • 7 tbsp Brown Sugar
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 3 tbsp Fresh Mint Leaves
IMG_00001001
Sorrel Petals - Boiling

IMG_00001000
Brown Sugar, Lemon Peel, Cloves & Cinnamon
Method
  1. Pour water into saucepan and add in roselle calyces
  2. Bring to boil on medium heat and stir frequently.
  3. Add in grated ginger, cloves, cinnamon, lemon peel and continue to boil on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit and cool to room temperature.
  5. Over a pitcher, place a fine mesh strainer, and pour juice through leaving behind the solid ingredients.
  6. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
  7. Add mint leaves and refrigerate until chilled and serve with ice cubes (if preferred).
IMG_00001004
Sorrel Juice
Tip:
  • You can add a splash of vodka, rum or gin to make a cocktail (FYI: Even though I referred to this being a part of my childhood, this step was not added until I was legally allow to drink ☺).
  • As a remedy for cold or for those chilly winter nights, you can reheat and drink warm.
Serves 4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment